Friday, October 16, 2009

Zoe's Prescription for Happiness

I was having a conversation with Zoe about how I have not been feeling well lately. Working in the field that I do I know how much kids pick up on when we think they are clueless about what is going on. As if that was not enough to prompt me to make sure that Zoe knows what is happening, her teacher asked me how I was feeling when I dropped Zoe off yesterday at preschool. I had stayed home from work last Friday and Gavin took Zoe to school so I figured that is why she was asking. But she elaborated and said that Zoe had seemed worried about me and was signing "mommy" and "hurt" at times. And so I had this conversation with Zoe today:

Genevieve: "Mommy hasn't been feeling very well but she is seeing doctors so they can help mommy feel better. Hopefully mommy will feel better soon. But you don't need to worry about mommy."

Zoe signs "kisses"

"Oh, are you going to give mommy kisses to help her feel better?"

Zoe smiles.

"That's a good idea. Kisses would help mommy feel better. What else do you think will make mommy feel better?"

Zoe signs "milk"

"Milk? You think milk and kisses will make mommy feel better?"

Zoe smiles and signs "play"

"Oh and playing will make mommy feel better too. Kisses, milk, and playing. Anything else?"

Zoe signs "sleep"

Laughing I say, "Yeah you are right, sleep would help too. So is that what mommy should do, get lots of kisses, milk, playing, and sleep?"

Zoe smiles and signs "mommy" "happy"

"Yes, you are right Zoe. I think those things would make mommy happy."

So there you have it- Zoe's prescription for happiness:
kisses, milk, playing, and sleep

Sounds good to me!

3 comments:

Karen said...

That is so cute. I can't get over how well she is doing with signing. I always say that I think Kylee understands more then we think she does or give her credit for. This just makes me realize that she does and then I should keep that in mind more often.
Thanks for the up date...I was wondering how things were going with you...we think about you often and talk about wondeful Zoe all the time. Give her hugs and kisses from us.

Nate said...

I love that. What a smart and sensitive little lady you've got! That's a much better prescription than some I've gotten from people who've been to medical school. :-)

Unknown said...

That is the cutest story! I hope you are feeling better!