Thursday, February 11, 2010

Spoke/ Blogged Too Soon

NG tube goes back in and Zoe is back in our bed.
After a whopping three days of feeling well, Zoe came down with a gastro infection. She couldn't keep anything down and was vomiting bile so back to the doctor's we went on Tuesday. The doctor gave us an anti-nausea medication that they give kids in the emergency room. It worked and Zoe only vomited once after starting the med. That night she drank the electrolyte solution pretty well (she was probably so thirsty after throwing up all day). Unfortunately, by yesterday afternoon she had not drunk or eaten much so she was getting seriously dehydrated again. She just didn't have the energy. Since Zoe never had a chance to gain back the weight or get well rehydrated after the last illness, she does not have any reserves. So we put the NG back in last night to give her the electrolyte solution. She is tolerating the feeds so far. We are trying to do everything we can to avoid going in to hospital where they would hydrate her via IV. Zoe is a really hard stick at the best of times but impossible when dehydrated. We have gone several times in the past for IV hydration only to find they can not get access to a vein. Or, after multiple sticks, they get the IV in but it lasts less than 24 hours. So, hopefully she will continue to tolerate NG feeds and will slowly increase her oral feeds again. Lyn (Zoe's respite worker) is coming over for a few hours today so I can get some sleep. Gavin is working a 12 hour shift at the hospital, so no rest for him! We hope (and maybe we will laugh at the naivety of this later) that Zoe perks up a bit today so we can bring her for a few hours of preschool tomorrow. I think it would be good for her to get out of the house a bit.
We are starting to feel a bit isolated and lonely here. Gavin pointed out that it has been weeks since we could do anything "normal" or fun with Zoe. We haven't even had time or energy (and she hasn't been up to it) to take a walk around the block or go on the swing in the back yard. We see other parents out our window bundling kids in their snowsuits and playing in their yards (we just got a little snow). It is difficult to explain the emotional impact of that on us at a time like this. It would probably be dramatic (although somewhat accurate) to say it breaks our hearts.

I had a small breakdown on Monday and Gavin had one on Tuesday.

But then we took a deep breath,

dried our tears,

told ourselves to suck it up,

rolled up our sleeves,

and said,

"All right, let's go again."

4 comments:

Karen said...

You guys sound like me. I do that often. I have to cry it out and then I am able to get back on track and face the world. I always tell Dr's give me 5 minutes let me cry it out and then come back and we will climb this mountain and figure out what we are going to do.
Hope Zoe starts feeling better. I will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Genevieve Ross said...

Thanks Karen. Yes, I think a good cry helps me center myself so I can refocus. I know how lucky I am to have Zoe and that there are other children who are much more sick. It just takes me a moment to remember that. Plus, a little pity party every now and then does help :)

Nate said...

Please give Zoe a big hug. I'm sure she'll pull out of this soon. We remember time like this with Whit when she was younger and they are indescribably hard. We'll be thinking of you!

KB said...

I hope Zoe feels better soon and you can all get the rest you need.