Thursday, May 31, 2012

"Friends in Low Places"

Here's to Garth Brooks

Our friend Dorothy lent us a Garth Brooks CD.  Zoe is a HUGE country fan....Gavin and I are...not really big fans.  We accidentally discovered Zoe's love of country when we were driving in Utah after a 1p36 conference.  We rented a car and drove to see the Arches National Park.  It seemed that every station played country and when country was playing, Zoe was happy.  When a commercial came on, she would start crying again so we would find another country song.  Here in Toronto, we don't get so many country stations.  Just one to be exact.  And a new one which says it is country but often plays other music much to Zoe's dismay. 

Since Dorothy lent us this Garth Brooks CD, Zoe has wanted it to be played non-stop when in the car.  And so Garth gets stuck in my head.  And I wanted to do a post about some of our friends and how awesome they are and "Friends in Low Places" is currently playing over and over in my head driving me a bit mad!  And now anyone who has ever heard that song is now having it play in their heads too!

The hilarious thing about the Garth CD is that Zoe finds the rodeo song the most relaxing.  It is the song she often falls asleep too (something Zoe hardly ever did in the car- she would usually just get overtired and cry but that was before Garth!)  So forget those relaxing classical CDs I had been playing for her.  Forget the slow music- bring on the rodeo song:

Well it's bulls and blood
It's dust and mud
It's the roar of a Sunday crowd
It's the white in his knuckles
The gold in the buckle
He'll win the next go 'round
It's boots and chaps
It's cowboy hats
It's spurs and latigo
It's the ropes and the reins
And the joy and the pain
And they call the thing rodeo

And now that song will be stuck in my head for the rest of the day.  Well, I guess if I can't fall asleep I will sing myself this relaxing fast paced song.

We have been very fortunate to have so many supportive friends.  I am not sure if they are in low places....actually I am not really sure what that means exactly but I am pretty sure I don't really want to know!  It is amazing how touching a simple gesture can be.  Dorothy helped me bring the girls to visit Gavin in the hospital after surgery and she noticed Zoe calmed down when country was on the radio.  I explained that we do not have any country CDs and she immediately grabbed the Garth CD from her car as soon as we got back to the house.  That was so thoughtful of her....well I think it is thoughtful but Garth is kind of driving Gavin mad at the moment...too bad daddy- it isn't about what you want!

Relaxing Spa Day at Lyn's

Our friend Lyn invited us over so the kids could go swimming.  I asked our respite worker, Alison, to come along to help so Gavin and I could take it easy.  Alison showed up with breakfast and coffee.  When we got to Lyn's, Lyn and Alison took over with the kids and they were awesome.  Lyn cooked us a delicious lunch (during which time Ailsa was napping so I actually got to eat it!)  When both kids got up from their naps, Lyn and Alison took them swimming while Gavin and I slept.  After nap time, a nice hot shower with no one sitting on the floor babbling "ma ma ma ma ma ma ma ma" while I play peek-a-boo with the shower curtain to keep her entertained (this may have been my favourite part of the day).  Lyn cooked another delicious meal and then gave both Gavin and I spa treatments on our hands.  I think Lyn should open up a respite place for parents.  The entire day was so relaxing and felt like a real break from everything.  The girls had a great time.  Only downside is that I think we completely exhausted Alison and Lyn!  They seemed to struggle to get the girls to the pool (some excuse about multiple poopy diapers but you would think with two Early Childhood Education degrees between them they would be able to handle this!)  And Alison said that Ailsa exhausted her.  My angel?  I laughed and said, now imagine driving them home, getting them both ready for bed, give Zoe all her meds, nurse Ailsa and see what laundry needs to be done!  It was so nice to get away from all of that for a day and to be taken care of.

I love Zoe's look of pure joy while swimming with Lyn.  She had this smile the entire day when playing with Lyn.  And yes, Lyn, I promise to send you the photos!

Zoe passed out right on the rug after swimming.  She was tired!

Thank you to all of our friends.  You all rock!

1 comment:

Nate said...

Whoops! Guess you have us to blame for the country thing. It is hard to escape around here, especially in southern Utah. Melanie and I aren't exactly fans either but Whitney shares Zoe's love for "goat roper music." We try to discourage it but she's a huge fan of Sugarland, Kenney Chesney and others. Hearing Garth Brooks on repeat play everyday can sure get taxing, but it is pretty funny to see our childrens' tastes develop.