Sunday, July 3, 2011

Zoe doing better

Hey all. Zoe is doing much better today. She was weaned off BiPAP last night and went on to CPAP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_airway_pressure ) and is now just on blow by oxygen (moisturized oxygen blown close to her face). She got a PICC line (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripherally_inserted_central_catheter )
yesterday at 1:00- they started talking about it at noon so things went amazingly quickly, which was both stressful and comforting. So now she can get her bloodwork through that and we don't have to worry about IV's going bad. She is sleeping comfortably and has not got any sedation for some time now. She still has a nasal trumpet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasopharyngeal_airway )in to help keep her nose open and to facilitate suctioning out any gunk she can't clear from her airway. She looks much better and much more peaceful. We'll try and get a photo up soon. So far there has been no evidence of increased seizures (knock on wood). Genevieve, Ailsa and I are staying at the Delta Chelsea down the street so we all had a much better sleep last night (I got more sleep last night then I had had in the previous three nights combined, which was nice). Our friends Melissa, Riann and Dane have been very helpful, as has Zoe's excellent respite worker Alison. My dad Alan was also a big help on the first day Zoe was admitted as a baby watcher. My colleagues in the ED have been very supportive in me flexing my work hours, providing medical information and just being generally supportive. Thanks to all.

Anyway, just a quick update. I couldn't figure out how to get the links highlighted for you, so if you are interested you can just cut and paste for the time being- maybe Genevieve can fix it for me later : )

7 comments:

Miriam and Michael said...

Hope little Zoe gets better real soon. Miriam, Michael and Uisneach

Sarah Harkins said...

We are so glad Zoe is getting better! Your blogging helps as we felt like calling 100 times today and we know you all need rest. Love, Kathy, John and children

Carrie Daggett said...

Have been thinking about Zoe all day since we heard. I'm so glad to read this post. Sending some good and healthy prayers her way. Get better soon Zoe!

Teri said...

Thinking of you and keeping you all in my prayers. Wish I lived closer so I could help you out. Please do keep us posted. I'm wishing for a quick recovery for Zoe, and all of you. Teri

Heather Thorup said...

Poor baby girl! I sure hope she gets better soon. How scary for you guys! I can't imagine how terrible to go through that. We will keep you in our prayers.

Jenny said...

I'm so glad that she is doing better. I'm so sorry that you are going through all this. Thoughts and prayers with you and your family.

Julie and Jason said...

We just found out about all of Zoe's recent health issues today. We are so sorry you all are having to go through all of this...but happy to hear she is doing better. We are thinking about you and wish Zoe continued healing.