Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

Spent the morning looking into making the bathroom more accessible. Looking at funding. Options. Etc.

Forced myself to go out to the local pub for some time away and a meal I didn't have to cook. Even better- I got to eat it while it was still hot!

Gavin is working today. Lyn, the respite worker, is here to watch Zoe while I surf the net, fill out insurance forms, bank online, and finally go for some respite time.

Spending the afternoon/evening assessing Zoe:

Checking her heels and palms for dehydration. Listening to her chest with the brand new stethoscope I bought Gavin for his birthday- he couldn't hear with the old one. Counting her heart rate- when it goes above 200 beats per minute it gets very hard to count.

We are day 6 of fevers. Can't remember when this cold started (maybe two weeks ago?). When the cough went to her chest (probably a week ago). She hasn't peed since early this morning. Protocol says 12 hours no urine output- drop an NG tube for feeds.

But she looks really good. Rolling around, playing with her toys. Her nail beds are purple but that isn't so unusual. Her heels are papery, cold, and stay in the triangle shape for over 10 seconds when I test them.

Ok, not a good sign.

But still. I will watch her. And think. And think. And think some more.

This is my mother's day.

But I wouldn't have it any other way. Because I get to be Zoe's mom. And I am really good at it.

And I love her.

1 comment:

sherry said...

You are an awesome mom...a super mom. You are very inspirational to us all. Happy Mother's day!!