Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Backpack

Ok, I admit this is probably just an excuse to post some more cute pictures....but someone commented on the backpack and I just wanted to show how hilarious Zoe used to look in the carrier. The carrier was bigger than Zoe! It also weighed almost as much as her. We bought it when Zoe was six months old when we knew we would be doing a lot of walking on our trip to England and Scotland. Gavin's family is from there so we went over to show off "the bonny wee babbity" and visit the relies. We were hoping that Zoe would be able to nap and it would be more comfortable than carrying her in a sling. We bought this particular pack because it is pretty light weight and can carry a child up to 23kg/50 lbs. We figured that will last Zoe a while. Zoe actually screamed her head off the first few times she was in it. I think people were wondering why we were squashing this "newborn" (we got that a lot with Zoe in the first year) into a backpack.

I love this picture because it shows how little Zoe was. More backpack than baby.

And you can see in this picture that she really was comfortable in it. She would fall asleep in the pack for hours. Because she stops wiggling when sleeping we had to dress her in a sweatshirt because her hands would turn purple due to her poor circulation. We didn't realize this wasn't "normal." We thought it was normal for a baby's hands and feet to be bright purple at times. It wasn't until someone pointed it out as a cardiac symptom that we thought there was anything wrong with it.

And here is Zoe at almost 3 1/2 years old. She doesn't sleep in the carrier now. She is too busy yelling at daddy to go, go, go!
FYI I do actually carry Zoe at times (and yes, Rachel Coleman is definitely an inspiration for me to be in shape so I can carry my child as she grows bigger). I just like the pictures of Gavin better :)

2 comments:

sherry said...

Too cute!!! She was a little bitty baby....wow look how much she's grown. I can't wait to try the carrier with Kaylee. We had to get one for our 6 yrs old if we intend to do some serious hiking... let's see how long we last. Since this our 1st time, I don't think we will last very long especially Beau carrying 50lbs of big sister on his back. I loved the pics...thanks for sharing with us.

Sherry Culvahouse (mom of Kaylee almost 2 on 23rd, Allison 6 yrs)

Nate said...

I love that she hollers at you to keep going! Glad Zoe will be able to hitch a ride in our pack when you hit the trails here in Utah!