Sunday, June 10, 2018

Heartbreak

I knew the heartbreak was coming, but still.

Zoe had her tonsils out on Friday.  This was a surgery we were hesitant to do but everyone said it would be good for Zoe.  We knew this was necessary, but still.

We prepared for surgery, made a good plan, all was going well.  Zoe was doing so well in fact, they decided to discharge her this morning.  She had her immune system rash going on.  The rash that heralds something is amiss.  We thought something might be wrong but they were eager to send us on our way.

Perhaps we should have pushed to stay.
Perhaps we should have listened to that rash.
Perhaps we should have guessed.

We spent a couple hours at home and then back to the emergency room.

Zoe is struggling to breathe, she is seizing, she is vomiting.

We knew this might happen.

We were prepared.

But still.

This sucks.

Three Hugs

I got three hugs tonight
from my beautiful
amazing 
daughters.

The first was heartbreaking.
Zoe tells me she is scared.
She signs "help" repeatedly.
She worries she will get worse.
She wants me to stay.
She clutches my hand.
I wrap my arms around her
she puts her arms around my neck
presses her flushed cheek to my face
and she cries.
My tears roll down her face.

The second was full of lies.
When I get home from the hospital Ailsa is full of energy.
She played with the neighbours
she is excited about her day
she is tired and ready for bed.
I tuck her in.
I snuggle her.
I pretend that everything is ok.
She is not worried about Zoe
well- not seriously worried anyway.
She has faith that Zoe will be ok
that she will recover
that she will return home soon.
I tuck my daughter in to bed with these beliefs safely tucked in to her heart.

The third was milky sweet.
I nursed my exhausted baby until she was so milk drunk she could barely move.
I lifted her to my shoulder.
Her soft cheek pressed in my neck and I thought of Zoe.
I thought of all that I can not do for Zoe tonight.
I thought of how I can not be there with Zoe tonight.
I thought of how bad this could get before it gets better.
I thought of spending the night waiting for the phone to ring
for Gavin to call to say she is worse.
I thought how this has happened before
and probably will happen again.
I thought of all the choices we make for Zoe
the heartbreak
the pain
the burden.

I rocked Willow and thought of my three beautiful girls
my wonderful
sweet
amazing
funny
fun 
giving
kind
full of life
strong girls.
And my heart broke to think that some day there may not be three.

1 comment:

Sofiana said...

I'm not sure when you wrote these posts, but sending so much love to you and your girls