Friday, October 24, 2014

Two Steps Forward, One Back

Zoe was doing really well Wednesday evening but by Thursday morning, her chest X-ray showed more fluid in her chest.  She is third spacing.  Which is not really a very nice thing.  To put it simply.  If you want to freak out and worry even more about Zoe, you can google it!  Needless to say- having the fluids in your body go into your lungs and other organs rather than through the normal system is not a good thing for your body.

However, they do seem to have this under control.  A "good" thing is that Zoe has done this before and they keep good records.  So they know what works for her.  Right now they are giving her meds to flush the fluids out of her body.  It is a balancing act though- if she pees out too many of her fluids her body gets dehydrated and her heart rate and blood pressure go low.  So being in the critical care unit is a good thing right now.  They can keep a close eye on her.

I am probably giving more medical info than most people care for.  But I did want to give an update and my brain is very tired.  So there it is.

Thank you everyone for keeping us in your thoughts and your kind words.  Despite all of this, Zoe has continued to have periods where she is happy, laughing and smiling.  When I read the comments and emails to Zoe, she was full of smiles.

I worked yesterday but it was very challenging since I just wanted to be with Zoe.  I was also completely mentally and physically drained.  So I am not going to work today.  I am going to spend time with Zoe and then go home to take Ailsa to ballet.  Gavin has been home the past two nights so he will take over here.

Ailsa is supposed to have her first sleepover this Saturday!  She loves my friend, Angela's daughter.  Zoe was supposed to go to a respite house this Saturday so we set it up for Ailsa to also have a special sleep over.  As long as Zoe continues to progress well, Ailsa and I will still do the sleepover.  I think it will be a good distraction for her.

Plan this morning is to continue weaning Zoe off the c-pap machine and hopefully switch back to just oxygen.  She was on oxygen only by Wednesday night but it was too soon and her lungs got worse.  So they are taking it slower this time.  Hopefully her body is ready to breathe on its own.

Zoe is sleeping so I am going to do the same.

As always, thank you everyone- for listening, for reading, for bringing me meals, for dropping off groceries, for sitting with Zoe.  You are all amazing!

No comments: